The Firestone Credit Card might be a good choice for dedicated car hobbyists, but it falls short of being useful for the majority of consumers.
Firestone Credit Card Quick Review
Here are the highlights of the Firestone Credit Card:
- Annual Fee: $0
- APR: 28.8%
- Sign-Up Bonus: None
- Deferred interest for six months on purchases of $149 or more
- Exclusive Firestone deals and coupons monthly
- Track your complete car service history
- Minimum Payment:
- The full statement balance for balances under $27 or for balances over $27, it’s the greater of 3.5% of the new balance or $27
- Other Fees:
- Up to $38 for late payments
- Up to $38 for returned payments
Why to Apply for the Firestone Credit Card
There are a couple of arguments in favor of applying for the Firestone Credit Card:
- You want to save money on interest. The Firestone Credit Card offers special deferred interest financing for up to six months on purchases of $149 or more. What this means is that you will not see interest on your bill for the first six months after you make your purchase.
- You enjoy tinkering with your vehicle and want to save money on parts. Firestone Credit Card cardholders get access to exclusive deals and coupons every month. If you’re the kind of person who enjoys working on cars, getting access to these deals can be a good way to save money on your hobby. As a bonus, you’ll get access to your car’s full service history from Firestone, so you can easily keep track of the work that has been done to your car.
Firestone Credit Card: Drawbacks and Downsides
There are some downsides to consider before applying for the Firestone Credit Card.
- This is a deferred interest deal, not an interest-free deal. If you pay off the full balance within the six-month deferred interest period, you won’t pay interest for your purchase at all. If you have even a penny remaining on your balance after the deferred interest period ends, you’ll see the full amount of interest you would have been charged added to your bill. You only save money if you can pay your purchase off within six months. If you make a mistake and don’t pay it off, you’ll be forced to pay a lot of interest that you might not have been expecting to pay.
- You cannot earn credit card rewards. Many credit cards offer lucrative rewards every time you use them to make a purchase. Many store cards offer great rewards on purchases at their store. You can earn cash back, miles, and rewards points depending on the credit card you use. Some cards will give you as much as five percent of the value of your purchases back as rewards. The Firestone Credit Card does not offer rewards of any kind.
- You can only use the card at Firestone locations. You can’t use it to make purchases at any other stores. This gives it some rather limited utility unless you shop at Firestone on a regular basis. People who want a card that they can use on a daily basis should look elsewhere.
Firestone Credit Card Alternatives
Before you apply for the Firestone Credit Card, consider these alternatives.
The U.S. Bank Visa Platinum Card: A True No-Interest Deal for Twenty Months
If you want to take advantage of true interest-free financing, consider applying for the U.S. Bank Visa Platinum Card. This credit card offers a promotional, twenty-month interest-free period.
During the first twenty months that you have the card, you will pay no interest on your purchases and balance transfers. Even if you don’t pay your balance off before the period ends, you won’t be hit with deferred interest. This can help you save a lot of money on interest charges.
The Citi Doublecash: A Flexible Card You Can Use Anywhere
If you want a card that you can use to earn rewards and that you can use anywhere, consider the Citi Doublecash. This credit card offers 2% cash back on every purchase you make.
You get 1% back when you make the purchase, and another 1% back when you pay your balance off. The card isn’t tied to any particular store, so you can use it to earn rewards anywhere that accepts credit card payment.
Other Things to Know
Can I use my Firestone Credit Card anywhere?
No, the Firestone Credit Card is a store card that can only be used at Firestone locations.
What is the Firestone Credit Card phone number?
If you need to contact customer service for the Firestone Credit Card, you can reach it at 1-800-321-3950.
What is a CFNA credit card?
CFNA stands for Credit First National Association. This group issues a number of store credit cards, including the Firestone Credit Card.
Bottom Line: Should You Apply for the Firestone Credit Card?
The Firestone Credit Card is a poor choice for all but the most dedicated car hobbyists who shop at Firestone. A note of caution: the deferred interest financing makes this card something of a gamble. A small mistake that leaves a balance on the card after the deferred interest period ends could see you owing hundreds of dollars of interest that you didn’t plan for.